Jacob Turner and Sarah Comber Skelton

Jacob Turner (born 1809) was convicted in Winchester, England on the 18th December 1830 and sentenced to life transportation to the colony of Sydney in NSW, Australia. He arrived in Sydney on the ship Eleanor on 26th June, 1831 listed under Convict Arrivals in New South Wales 1788-1842.

In March 1834, Jacob, 25, successfully applied for permission, as a life-bonded convict, to marry free settler Sarah Comber Skelton, 30. They married on the 27th March at St James Church of England in Sydney in 1834.

 

St James' Church in 1836, lithograph. Robert Russell, printed by John Gardiner Austin

St James’ Church in 1836, lithograph. Robert Russell, printed by John Gardiner Austin

 

In December 1834 their daughter Charlotte E was born in Sydney and baptised on 18th January 1835 . In 1836 their son Jacob Turner was born on 18th June – both children were baptised at St James Church, Sydney.

Jacob Turner was pardoned on 9th November 1837 and listed in the Conditional pardons 1791-1841 (NRS 1170), Australia Convict conditional and absolute pardons 1791-1867.

Jacob Turner died in Sydney in 1844.

Copyright © 2007-2016 by Hamilton Family History. All rights reserved.
Posted in George Raymond, Reid, Skelton, Turner | Leave a comment

Major Hugh Rose and Arabella Margaretta Phipps

On 16 July 1799 in London Hugh Rose married Arabella Phipps. Hugh made a fortune in the Government Commissariat service in the West Indies, in the Caribbean. Hugh acquired a share in plantation Geanies in Berbice in 1801, along with J Crawford Macleod of Geanies and John Bethune, the son of another Ross-shire minister. Returning to Scotland about 1802 the couple came to Ross-shire where Hugh bought Glastullich, Calrossie and Tarlogie, as well as Bayfield in Nigg, which they made their main home.  He named the area known as ‘Arabella’ in Logie Easter after his new wife Arabella.

In 1796 Hugh Rose had purchased the land and buildings which are now known as Arabella. At the time the land which lay between Glastolloch and the Cromarty firth was low lying and liable to flooding in winter. It contained a 17th century croft house called Drummeddat which was part of the Shandwick Estate. Over a number of years Hugh extended and developed Drummeddat croft to create a substantial Manor House and farm which he renamed after wife Arabella. The development was undertaken in a number of stages and was unlikely to have been completed before Arabella’s death.

Arabella died suddenly in mysterious circumstances on 9th November 1806 “in the act of preparing medicine for a sick and indigent family”. It is rumoured she was murdered by her husband’s mixed-race ‘mistress’ who had been brought back to Bayfield from his plantation in Berbice in the Caribbean.

Hugh Rose, through his second marriage to Catharine Munro, acquired the estate of Cromarty and changed his name to Hugh Rose Ross.
In 1829 he still owned plantation Experiment on the east side of the Berbice river, which he renounced in favour of the government [Foreign Office Library, Land Claims]. Experiment had been owned by Roderick Rose & Co in 1798 – possibly an unidentified relation.

Hugh and Arabella had four children:

Hugh Munro-St Vincent: born – 28 May 1800 died: 11 April 1867, Croyden, England. Married 22 October 1836, Frances Walrond Roberts.

Isaac: born/died infancy

Rebecca:  born – 1802(?) Married cousin Thomas Phipps Esq.

Mary: born 1804 – died 1854, St Ernans House, Ireland. Married 1823 John Hamilton Esq.

Copyright © 2007-2016 by Hamilton Family History. All rights reserved.
Posted in Phipps, Rose | 2 Comments